Apply for this position
At Railway, we make it extremely simple for engineers to deploy logic without thinking about servers. Our goal is to make developers orders of magnitude more efficient by becoming the operating system for modern development.
By building tooling for infrastructure automation, we seek to make people 100x more effective, and build 100x more impactful systems. Building leverage is a core part of what we do.
Railway has grown it’s paying developer base by an extreme factor over the last year. Now we are looking to build an even better relationship with companies who are looking to us for guidance on how to best adopt Railway for their use-cases.
As our first Solutions Engineer, you will draw upon your technical background and work with prospective customers, existing users, and the team to make sure Railway can meet the needs of their production environments. We have a number of new features that we have shipped which serve the needs of complex engineering teams and we need a champion who can demonstrate Railway’s value.
You’ll be working directly with our CEO and our product team to build out our early pipeline while also developing and sharing insight with our customers. We have some aggressive business goals this year and we can’t wait to work with the right person to lead us there.“Found business pain creates opportunity”. John McMahon
About the role
This is a role where you will spend time working through our developer pipeline; assisting those who need a guided implementation. Railway is demo-optional, we prefer to optimize for developer experience but we also know that companies appreciate the assurance of having an expert assist them with adoption.
You’d work directly with the team and customer to:
The Solutions Engineer role has the opportunity to break ground on Railway’s revenue. Not only will you build the processes to identify customers, but you’ll be working directly with them to make sure Railway is a great fit for them. Finally, you’ll catalog and internalize the customers feedback and work directly with our product team to advance Railway to serve larger and larger organizations.
This role will have a direct impact in the future of our company and as such will present you the opportunity to grow with our company.
We are looking for someone who is highly empathetic to the needs of developers who also doesn’t shy away from the problems that developers face.
Things to know
For better or worse, we're a startup; our team dynamics are different from companies of different sizes and stages.
- We're distributed ALL across the globe, and that's only going to be more and more distributed. As a result, stuff is ALWAYS happening.
- We do NOT expect you to work all the time, but you'll have to be diligent about your boundaries because the end of your day may overlap with the start of someone else's.
- We're a small team, with high ownership, who are not only passionate about what we do, but seek to be exceptional as well. At the time of writing we're 7, serving tens of thousands of users. There's a lot of stuff going on, and a lot of ambiguity.
- We want you to own it. We believe that ownership is a key to growth, and part of that growth is not only being able to make the choices, but owning the success, or failure, that comes with those choices.
Benefits and perks
At Railway, we provide best in class benefits. Great salary, full health benefits including dependents, strong equity grants, equipment stipend, and much more. For more details, check back on the main careers page.
Beyond compensation, there are a few things that we believe that make working at Railway truly unique:
- Autonomy: We have very few meetings. Just a Monday and a Friday to go over the Company Board. We think your time is sacred, whether it's at work, or outside of work.
- Ownership: We're a company with a high ownership, high autonomy culture. We hope that you'll come in, help us, and over the course of many years do the best work of your life. When we bring you onboard, we expect you to change the company.
- Novel problems/solutions: We're a startup that's well funded, with cool problems, which lets us implement novel solutions! We abhor “busywork” and think, whether it's community, engineering, operations, etc there's always opportunity for creative and high leverage solutions.
- Growth: We want you to grow with us, but we know that talent is loaned, so when you figure out what area you want to grow in next, whether it's at Railway or outside, we'll make sure you land there.
How we hire
No tricks. No surprises. Here's the entire process.
Talk with the CEO about the role
This is completely open ended and we're just trying to see who you are, what you want to do, and where you wanna go.
Pick a small project to discuss on the interview
Async, pick and implement one of the following:
You can, and SHOULD! ask us questions ahead of time. What our prior solution looks like, what ideas we have to improve it, etc. Ask away!
Review your solution with the Team
You'll sit down with 2 people and go over the above. We'll poke into your solution, as well as get you acquainted with two more members of the team.
Looking for: Learn about your problem solving skills. How you break down a problem and how you present a solution.
Meet the Team
You'll meet the Team, which will be comprised of 4 people from vastly different sections of the company.
Looking for: How you work with the rest of the team and communicate.
Offer and Details Chat with CEO
Finally, we will go over the process, the role, and hammer out the details about your position, onboarding, and all the deets.
Final Note: The interview goes both ways. Once again, please ask us things. Many things! Hard things. That's what we're here for.
Additional questions? We know this page might not answer all your questions. Just send us an email with any questions you may have and we will try to get back to you as soon as possible! 👋