At Railway, we make it extremely simple for engineers to deploy logic without thinking about servers. Our goal is to make developers orders of magnitude more efficient by becoming the operating system for modern development.
We give developers a sandbox to espouse their ideas. We are looking for someone who can let them know what is possible with the platform. We seek to make developers 100x more effective, and build 100x more impactful systems. Building leverage is a core part of what we do.
Oft an under-appreciated way to help developers build those levers is to focus on improving the speed and effectiveness of those developers.
About the role
You’d work directly with the team to:
Dev Rel is an often misunderstood role, we see it as a hybrid of being able to make cool stuff and talking about it, but also being the tip of the spear in getting feedback from the market. You should be knowledgeable about modern DevOps practices, the state of the cloud infra world, while being opinionated about how the next 10 years of Dev Tools should look like.
This is a high impact, high agency role where you are given a high degree of autonomy to work with any function you desire while receiving any support from the team you need. As our first hire in this area, we expect you to wear a lot of hats while setting the strategy.
We value and love to work with diverse persons from all backgrounds
Things to Know
For better or worse, we're a startup; our team dynamics are different from companies of different sizes and stages.
- We're distributed ALL across the globe, and that's only going to be more and more distributed. As a result, stuff is ALWAYS happening.
- We do NOT expect you to work all the time, but you'll have to be diligent about your boundaries because the end of your day may overlap with the start of someone else's.
- We're a small team, with high ownership, who are not only passionate about what we do, but seek to be exceptional as well. At the time of writing we're 7, serving tens of thousands of users. There's a lot of stuff going on, and a lot of ambiguity.
- We want you to own it. We believe that ownership is a key to growth, and part of that growth is not only being able to make the choices, but owning the success, or failure, that comes with those choices.
Benefits and Perks
At Railway, we provide best in class benefits. Great salary, full health benefits including dependents, strong equity grants, equipment stipend, and much more. For more details, check back on the main careers page.
Beyond compensation, there are a few things that we believe that make working at Railway truly unique:
- Autonomy: We have very few meetings. Just a Monday and a Friday to go over the Company Board. We think your time is sacred, whether it's at work, or outside of work.
- Ownership: We're a company with a high ownership, high autonomy culture. We hope that you'll come in, help us, and over the course of many years do the best work of your life. When we bring you onboard, we expect you to change the company.
- Novel problems/solutions: We're a startup that's well funded, with cool problems, which lets us implement novel solutions! We abhor “busywork” and think, whether it's community, engineering, operations, etc there's always opportunity for creative and high leverage solutions.
- Growth: We want you to grow with us, but we know that talent is loaned, so when you figure out what area you want to grow in next, whether it's at Railway or outside, we'll make sure you land there.
How We Hire
No tricks. No surprises. Here's the entire process.
Talk with us about the role
This is completely open ended and we're just trying to see who you are, what you want to do, and where you wanna go.
Work on a small project to discuss in the interview
Asynchronously implement the following:
You can, and SHOULD! ask us questions ahead of time. What our prior solution looks like, what ideas we have to improve it, etc. Ask away!
Review your solution with the Team
You'll sit down with someone on the team and go over the above. We'll poke into your solution, as well as get you acquainted with two more members of the team.
Looking for: Learn about your problem solving skills. How you break down a problem and how you present a solution.
Meet the Team
You'll meet the Team, which will be comprised of 4 people from vastly different sections of the company.
Looking for: How you work with the rest of the team and communicate.
Offer and Details Chat with CEO
Finally, we will go over the process, the role, and hammer out the details about your position, onboarding, and all the deets.
Final Note: The interview goes both ways. Once again, please ask us things. Many things! Hard things. That's what we're here for.
Additional questions? We know this page might not answer all your questions. Just send us an email with any questions you may have and we will try to get back to you as soon as possible! 👋